Thursday 10 January 2013

Font Experiements

I have began experimenting with different font styles to appear on the Digipak and possibly the advert in order to maintain a consistent artist identity much like the font Florence and the machines name appears in across various media platforms.
I want the mise-en-scene of the Digipak to be quirky, feminine and vintage inspired in order to appeal to the target audience. The font and look of the name and title therefore need to suit and portray this theme.
1. The first font is 'Capitals'. This font is striking and noticeable but I don't feel that it has the feminine look I am trying to achieve.
2. Font: 'Didot'. I like the colour of this font; I feel that it is girly but not too much therefore maintaining that quirky indie feel. But I don't think the font is strong and noticeable enough to grab the attention on the front of a Digipak or advert.
3. Font: 'Desemona'. I really like this font. I think it has a vintage 1920's look but is also quite modern therefore creating a combination that will appeal to the young target audience greatly. The only problem with this font is that I feel that the 'N's are quite difficult to distinguish meaning the name may not be instantly memorized. I feel that it is not clear enough to make a recognizable and memorable artist image.
4. Font: 'Edwardian Script'. I do not think this font is appropriate. It is portraying the vintage mise-en-scene too literally and it weak because of its delicate lines. I feel that this would fail to stand out and grab the target audience's attention.
4. Font: 'Poplar std'. This is the font that I feel will most appeal to the target audience and work well on the digipak cover. It is strong and bold whilst the colour is feminine but with its dark pink tone it also communicates a more edgy, eccentric indie look.

With the chosen font: 'Poplar std' I have continued to experiment with slight variations:
1. Original
2. Smaller size
3. Spaces between each letter
4. No Capitals
5. Grey outline
6. Lighter pink
7. Light blue
8. Mint green

After these further experiments I still prefer the original (1.). I feel that many of the other variations like the spacing between each letter and the no capitals take away from the strong impact the original version has. I do however like the colour variations (6,7,8). I think I will bear these in mind and refer back to them when I have selected the images that will appear on the digipak as the font and image will have to work well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment